Bangkok was interesting. To be honest, Geoff and I didn’t enjoy this city at all but I would like to describe it to you so you know what it is all about! Bangkok is one of the busiest and most crowded cities in the world. There are people everywhere, leaving very little room for personal space. Pollution is a huge problem here so there is a massive level of smog in the air and trash all over the streets. This is the dirtiest city I have even been to so I’m glad we weren’t there for more than 48 hours.
On the bright side, we stayed in an amazing hotel! Since Thailand is such an inexpensive city, we were able to stay in a five star hotel eight on the river for practically nothing. We were upgraded to a suite, had an amazing view of the city, and had access to a rooftop pool. The hotel really made all the difference in Bangkok. We did venture out in Bangkok but were only able to stand the city for an hour and a half. We hopped on a boat to get around (they use these way more than buses) and visited the flower market, a major temple, and saw a little of the royal palace. The best part of Bangkok was by the this little craft brewery we found with beers and betters from home. You can see how thrilled we are in the picture below.
Overall, we loved our trip to Thailand, Chiang Mai and the islands were such amazing places to see. In some ways, Asia was exactly what we expected and in others it was totally different. Here are some random takeaways:
1. They drive on the left side of the road so try to remember that when crossing the road (the scooters don’t stop).
2. All Thai food is spicy. The Thai food I love in America doesn’t exist here.
3. Asian people tend to be very aggressive and speak sternly. They are not friendly at all.
4. Asian airlines are strict. They say you can’t use your cellphone for anything, can’t move to an open seat, and are not willing to help.
5. Shoes must be taken off before entering temples and there are some temples where girls aren’t even allowed in!
6. Bangkok Airport is one of the largest and busiest airports in the world, yet it is wildly inefficient.
7. We are convinced that Thailand had the most beautiful beaches in the world
So we did the math and it turns out that we traveled for 37 hours. That’s right, 37 HOURS on plane and in airports. Totally crazy. Needless to say, we are so happy to be home. Thailand was an amazing place to visit and I know that we are both so happy that we went. And that wraps up our adventure. As always, thanks for reading!